Your artificial limb or brace shouldn’t hurt. Pain is nature’s way of letting you know that something isn’t right. Your prosthesis should fit snug and with use become to feel like an extension of your body. Proprioception is your mind’s understanding of where your body is in space, like touching your nose with your finger with your eyes closed or walking without looking at the ground. It takes time to learn how to use a prosthesis and have it become a comfortable part of your body.
Anew Life’s goal is to provide a device that meets your daily needs for work, play/sports and hobbies. The device should be pain free.
Your prosthesis shouldn’t:
- Be painful/hurt
- Burning sensation
- Throb or feel too tight like a blood pressure cuff
- Cause blisters
- On end of limb
- Cause back, knee or hip pain
- Have pressure points
- Leave red spots that last for more than 30 minutes
- Rub or remove hair
- Feel unstable
- Too tall or short
- Feel too loose where there is movement such as pistons or turns
- Push you forward, back or to one side
- Make noises like squeaks, clicks, air leaks, or farts
- Have unpleasant odors
If your prosthesis or orthosis has one or more of the above issues, call Anew Life to schedule an appointment at 313-870-9610.